Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bourne not Bond


It’s Bourne, Jason Bourne. Yes I said Bourne not Bond. I love the spy action thriller. I prefer a former American assassin with amnesia hunting for his past and the people who used to control him rather than a glossy British secret agent. My favorite genre film would then have to be The Bourne Supremacy. The Bourne Supremacy is the second film in The Bourne Trilogy and I believe it is the best.
The film continues Jason Bourne hunt for the truth and who he really is while he is hunted by a Russian assassin as well as CIA deputy director Pamela Landy. She believes he killed some of her men.
The film involves the classic action movie mythemes of the quest and clash of the titans. Bourne may be only one person but he has excellent training.
There are all the expectations of an action film with fighting, guns, explosions, chases, and suspense. The chases are on foot or car chases. Elements of suspense are seen through Bourne always being on the run. Will he be caught, found, will he get to his enemies first, will he find the truth, will Pamela Landy find out the real truth.
I loved the fighting in this film. The fighting was more realistic and exciting. In one scene Bourne is in handcuffs but then knocks down two men and then escapes. The film in general was more realistic. There were no gadgets, men dressed in suits at fancy parties, or females always dressed in skimpy clothing. The women had power and were intelligent. The hunt for Bourne was conducted by a female. In addition I loved the chases and explosions as well. The chases kept the film in a fast pace character. This kept me watching. Every time I watch this film, which I have seen numerous times, I do not look away from the screen when the chases occur. I also liked the fact that the film’s setting was around the world. Being a spy movie a global setting is also to be expected. Bourne escapes from Italy to go to Germany and then to Paris then off to Russia where a huge car chase takes place to finally end up back in New York City.
The Bourne Supremacy has all of the elements of a spy action thriller that I enjoy from the fighting, quest for the truth, chases, and suspense all in a more realistic fast pace tone. Even Matt Damon, Jason Bourne himself, had said in an interview that it is hard to make a sequel that is better than the first but he thought they had. I agree with his statement. Without all the high-tech gadgets I think Bond is no match for Bourne, Jason Bourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment