Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Making it My Own ("Own")


     How often does one see something and think I want to do that or at least like to try? As a lifelong music lover I have watched countless music videos. Being that I am visual person I enjoy to see visuals with music. I have even have thought of how the music video for a song would look...before even taking this class. This class is Music Video and I want to make the video my own but I am taking inspiration from others I have seen. 

     A music video is fast pace or at least a music video I would watch. If a music video was just one continuous shot and hardly any movement I would lose interest fast. That being the case, for my music video I want to put several different ideas together. These ideas I have seen in other music videos. I like the idea of stop motion. It is movement but not normal movement. Thus I think that it is interesting and I believe that it is more interesting to impose stop motion over another shot. This idea I got from Dev’s music video for her song “Booty Bounce”. The video is simple but does get boring after a while so I don’t want to do a complete video of stop motion. 

     To contrast stop motion I also like the idea of slow motion in music videos. In some music videos I have seen the artist run, walk,  or perform in slow motion. Furthermore I would also like to use masks on top of an object. As well as match cut and jump cut editing. Moving an object through two different shots or using two sequential shots of the same thing from different camera positions can link shots together but not in the traditional “movie making” way. Music videos can be short films....(Michael Jackson!) but “you can do things in video you can’t do in film” as said in class. I want to take advantage of this. 
     
     Going back to film making though I also like simple music videos if the artist has enough personally to keep my attention. Therefore I do want to just shoot people doing their own thing. 

     I do want to vary the shots on an action and add color sometimes. Again just to switch it up. The idea for color I first got from Jean-Luc Godard’s Pierrot le fou. Godard was all about unconventional film making and in an early scene from Pierrot le fou he uses different colors throughout a scene. The colors didn’t need to be there but they added to the scene. For a current reference, Kanye West’s “All of the Lights” music video also used color and this added to the song lyrics and vibe of the video. 

     There are numerous ways one can go when making a music video. I want to go with ideas that interest me. As well as ideas that I believe a relative beginner to video production can achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment